Newbie with a few questions

Thank you so much for your help! I am new to the CNC world.

1. What is the easiest way to convert an stl, obj, or 3mf file to a dxf or nc file or whichever gcode file is best?

2. When building on windows 3d builder is it important that the object sits on the plane or that it it set to 0? i.e. I am designing a cut out of 1/2" plywood should I position the object at .5 on the Z axis so that it is sitting flush with the plane, or at 0 so it is cut in half by the plane?

3. Does '0 represent center? so I could go out to 24 or -24 on X and 48 to -48 on Y?

1. Free cad unlike fusion is open source and should remain free. Where Autodesk could and has changed it’s mind. So STL or other to NC code use YouTube to learn FreeCAD.

2. I have never used windows 3d builder. But when designing. I start with a block of “wood” then subtract whatever I want from it. I place the lower left front corner of my stock at 0,0,0. Making the top of my stock my zero plane.

3. The Maslow knows local zero and absolute zero. I usually run mine in local zero mode.

The easiest way I’ve found to make designs and then gcode is to use Easel. (They do have a free version that works great.)